Fitting GB EU flags prohibited from 1st Jan'21
Article Published - 14/12/2020
On Monday 30th November, the government confirmed number plates with EU stars and GB letters can no longer be fitted from 1st January 2021.
Summary of GB EU flag rules from 1st January:
- Fitting GB EU plates (as shown) is prohibited from 1st January 2021.
- This date coincides with the end of the Brexit transition period.
- We'll help you ensure you stay legal with clear guidance on our website and other actions below.
The government has given just 1 month’s notice that plates with GB EU flags can’t be fitted to vehicles from 1st January 2021 and have not (at the time of writing) provided a formal announcement.
This date coincides with the end of the Brexit transition period.
Parliament also approved further changes to number plates, coming later (1st September) next year.
We will be in touch about these other changes in due course, ensuring you remain compliant with all the rules.
How are we supporting you with this change?
In support of our customers, we’re taking three actions to help ensure you only fit the right plates from next year and minimise any extra effort you need to make to accommodate this late-notice change after a challenging year for the motor trade.
- Our website guides you: every GB EU flag product on our website will shortly
- come with a notice about the 1st January rule
- link to an equivalent plain and (if available) regional flag and green flash product.
- You can tell us in seconds you’d like your regular items updated: our short form tells us you’d like us to update the regular items on your account. Regular items are shown when you log in online and our Customer Care team use them to ensure you get the right items.
- New alternative products: we’re developing a range of alternative or supplementary products to the GB EU flag, including GB ovals for EU travel. We’ll launch these by eshot and on our website as soon as possible.
What plates will no longer be permitted?
Unfortunately any plate showing a GB EU flag, regardless of its shape and size, can no longer be fitted from 1st January 2021.
Our website is currently being updated to clearly show which products remain valid to fit from 1st January 2021.
Will Jepson & Co supply GB ovals?
We will be in touch shortly to launch our range of GB ovals and alternative flag products. Due to the short notice given by government, we are developing the products as quickly as possible, and welcome your feedback on what you’d like to see. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.
Can a plate flag still show a blue background?
Plates showing the GB initials and EU stars can't be fitted from 1st January 2021. However it is legal to have a regional flag with a blue background.
Please note Jepson & Co does not currently supply regional flag plates or stickers with blue backgrounds.
What regional flag options can I order?
We offer three styles across plates showing the Union Flag, Cross of St George, Welsh Dragon or Scottish Saltire. Our most popular is Option C, as shown below.
Are existing GB EU plates still valid in 2021?
In short, yes and no.
Yes, they’re still legal for UK travel. Plates with GB EU flags fitted on or before 31st December 2020 can remain on vehicles – there’s no need to swap these existing plates out for plain or regional variants.
No, they can’t be used alone overseas. GB EU flags are no longer valid for EU travel so drivers will also need to add a GB oval to identify their vehicle as from the UK.
How and when was this legislation change made?
On Monday (30th November), Parliament passed an amendment to the piece of legislation governing the display of a number plate.
The amendment states that after the Brexit transition period, it’s no longer permitted to fit a flag with the EU stars and GB letters to either existing or new vehicles.
It also included some further amendments effective 1st September 2021. We'll be in touch about these in due course.