Item successfully added!

We‘re here to help. Call us on 0114 273 1151 (Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:45pm)

Skip navigation

DVLA Legislation

Advice and guidance for all companies wanting to register as a legal number plate supplier.

To become a Registered Number Plate Supplier, it costs £40 to register. If you supply number plates illegally, you could be fined a hefty sum of up to £5,000.

As your number plate partner, we have in-depth knowledge of Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) rules and regulations and can liaise with the DVLA on your behalf. From registering your business to displaying number plates correctly, we're here to help just when you need us. 

Our number plate software is also DVLA and GDPR compliant to make record keeping simple.

Below is a list of frequently asked questions, supported by official documents released by the DVLA that are available to download.

What is an RNPS number?

The DVLA will issue your company with its own Registered Number Plate Supplier (RNPS) number, also known as a Supplier I.D. (SID). This unique number allows you to legally supply number plates to the public. We also need this number for our records to enable us to supply you with components.

I'd like to start making number plates. What do I need to do?

To legally make or supply number plates to the public, your company must register as a number plate supplier with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). All registered number plate suppliers can be found by searching the postcode here.

How much does it cost to register with DVLA?

Each place of business is charged a one-off fee of £40 to register. If you supply number plates to the public illegally, you could be fined up to £5,000.          

What records should I keep?

To supply a number plate to a member of the public, you must see the original documents that prove their identity and entitlement to the registration. The most important things to keep a record of is their name, address and entitlement. Your customer will have to provide one document from each of the categories below to enable you to keep records and verify their details before making a number plate. Any of the following documents as per DVLA's website are acceptable:

How long should I keep records for?

Records must be kept for a minimum of 3 years. The DVLA, the police and Trading Standards have the right to request to see your records at any time if they ask.

To see a sample of what a record sheet may look like, please click here.

How do I apply to become a Registered Number Plate Supplier?

To register online, click here. Alternatively, you can download a V940 form here and post your application. Please note, you will also need to complete and submit a V940/1 form if you have any additional sites. The secondary (V940/1) form can be downloaded here.

What happens once I’ve registered?

Once you've registered, you'll be sent a letter of acknowledgement from the DVLA which confirms that your company can legally make and sell number plates from the address that you've registered. The letter will also confirm what your Registered Number Plate Supplier (RNPS) number is, you will need need to keep this safe for your records.

What should I do if I need to change my contact details?

Please email us with any change to your name, email or phone number to If your company name, entity or address changes, we will need to contact the DVLA before our database can be updated. Any changes must be reported to the DVLA within 28 days. We are more than happy to assist you and liaise with the right people on your behalf to ensure your company is registered correctly. Please contact our Customer Service team for further advice and guidance.

How can I contact the RNPS department directly?

To contact the Register of Number Plate Suppliers department within the DVLA, whether it’s about your registration or to update your company details, you can call them on 0300 123 0797 or alternatively, you can email

Where can I find more information regarding Trailer Registration Plates?

Please visit our trailer plates blog post by clicking here.